Pages

Linggo, Enero 15, 2012

When Glam met Glitz

                It started from a childhood tales of princesses in corset gowns and towering but impressive castles… continued with exposure to what society calls as finer things in life – fine dining, meeting high-class people, going to beautiful (but otherwise expensive) places… sparked by curiosity because of the talks about it…


                
                And finally that night – December 23, 2011, 43 days after my real birthday, after months of preparation and weeks of panic-stricken last-minute changes, I finally had the Debut I had long dreamt of.




               Nothing could compare to that feeling I had when the doors opened to reveal the Sydney hotel convention hall transformed into an enchanting place – an array of sparkling decors and glass displays that all lent the room an air of elegance and grandeur.
With my pink princess-style ball gown, the dramatic effect of the fog rising, the white and red rose petals scattered on the floor and on the tables, and the sea of familiar people whose eyes were all on me as I made my entrance (my trembling hands supported by my cousin Kuya Mhel’s arm), I couldn’t help but think that surely I must be dreaming because that scene seemed so surreal, like the stuff fairytales were made of.



But the nervous thundering, almost painful beat of my heart told me I was indeed awake and that everything was real. I loved and savored every second of it.


Aided by the competent hosting of my good friends and high school classmates Shyn Ebol and Zaniel (Zanny) Barluado, the program went on smoothly.



My Lola gave the welcoming speech followed by an intermission number by TOP TEEN – a boy group formed by some of my high school batchmates. It was nostalgic to see them dancing KPOP (when we were in High School, they often performed during every event imaginable). I enjoyed watching them dance. They were the same guys I knew in high school but somehow they were different. Maybe because they were older now so they seemed more like ‘gentlemen’ than ‘boys’ or maybe it’s just their suits. XD


After their fantastic and if I may say so, greatly improved (they were much better in dancing now than when we were in high school) performance, it was time to satisfy our growling tummies.




Just as I predicted, the dessert made by my cousin Ate Xy-za was a best-seller. I remember that everyone from my high school batch loved eating the Mango Float I often bring during school events (Christmas party, family day etc.) and based on their reaction when plates of it were placed on each table, they still do.
During dinner, I went around the room, entertaining guests, talking to my close friends, and every now and then, posing for pictures.






A photographer from Montage immortalized the whole event by taking photos.
After dinner, Shyn and Zanny started the Parlor Games to allow me time to change into another outfit – the regal, violet-colored, long gown with cloth that sparkled when light hit it. My hair was swept up and adorned with gem-like hair pins.


This was the gown I wore during my dance with my 18 roses. First dance goes to my Dad of course, followed by my Tito JunJun, my Ninong Dondon and then my high school batchmates Ace, Roman, Kit, James, Daniel, Benedict, Massy, Billy, Darmy, Peter, Joachim, Zanny, Fernnie and Leniel. My last dance was with my only older male cousin Kuya Mhel.

Dancing with my Dad
Dance with Tito Junjun
Dance with Tito Dondon
w/ Ace
w/ Roman
w/ Kit
w/ James
w/ Daniel
w/ Benedict
w/ Massy
w/ Billy
w/ Darmy
w/ Peter
w/ Joachim
w/ Zanny
w/ Fernnie
w/ Leniel
w/ Kuya Mhel
After that, another intermission number was performed by CORNER BOYZ (I told you, my batchmates LOVE dancing. I wasn’t exaggerating when I said that). 





Even my Mommy (Tita Cosette) who saw some of their performances back in high school, told me that the group had indeed improved throughout the years. I agreed with her. Their moves now are more fluid, more polished and their boyish charm back in high school was replaced with a more mature but still captivating aura. But of course, Corner Boyz will be Corner Boyz - they were a bit unorganized and a tad too hyper during their dance. XD
After that, everyone sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY accompanied by the band.
After I blew the candles (I was short of breath after blowing 18 of them!), it’s time for the 18 treasures.


My 18 treasures are as follows:

            
            
          
        Tita Jiji





              Tito Dondon






                Tito Paris





               Zanny



                      
                       Shyn




                   Arej





                Darrel





            Mabelle



                Camella





          Precy/"Patz"





Coleen/"Crazy Friend"





                     Ava





   Donna/"Windang"




       Maricar/"Partz"





          Haizel/"VG"



        Kristine/"Lukaret"





          Aimee/"Sis"


   (My bestfriend cried while saying her message to me)


Char (The Chars weren't able to come but they sent video greetings and I watched it during the program)



  Dayan/"Vain"






I gave my thank you speech then. It was an impromptu speech but it came from the bottom of my heart. I acknowledged God’s faithfulness in my life then thanked my parents, my second mothers – my Nanay (Tita Beth), my Mommy (Tita Cosette) and my Tita Christie, and also my Lola and my Tito Junjun for working together for me to be able to have such a grand debut. More than that, I am grateful that during these 18 years, they never failed to make me feel loved and secure. Of course, I also thanked my guests - our relatives and family friends who came despite telling them at such short notice, Tita Jiji and Tito Oliver who stayed during the whole event and who gave such a charming gift (a limited edition Anne Klein watch) *squeals in delight*, my Ninongs (who knew me since I was young and gave me what I wanted most to receive – books) and my parent’s friends, and of course, my high school batchmates and friends, who I’m quite proud to say, fitted quite well with the place with their glamorous attires. I don’t remember all the details of my speech but maybe sometime I’ll post it here in the blog too (my mom documented it by taking a video while I was speaking).
Before the program officially came to an end, I gave the stage to my batchmates and friends – the CENTER GIRLS whose group were again, formed in high school. I remember I used to help these girls with their make-ups and stuff, Now they are all alluring ladies but still had the same heart for KPOP – as they proved to us while they danced to the tune of SNSD’s songs.


Finally, it was time to PARTEEEEEEY!!!
With the band playing lively songs and the disco lights, everyone got up on their feet and danced (yes, including me although I don’t usually dance).



I really had a wonderful time that night – especially during the last part of the party where I get to fool around, laugh my heart out and just be myself with my friends. That night, the years we spent apart from each other, the different school we are in college and the obligations we had yet to finish (projects, holiday homeworks, exams etc.) were left behind and forgotten.
That night we were trapped in a standstill and for me nothing else matters but that one magical moment when Glam met Glitz…

1 comments:

shanay ayon kay ...

I like it!! Nice one kiez! :D

Mag-post ng isang Komento