Pages

Biyernes, Abril 27, 2012

A Rose, A Ring and A Promise



CHAPTER 1

“Do you really want to stay here and be reminded of Sean all the time?”

Sapphire turned and saw her best friend Emerald. It was a week after their college graduation.

            “Stop looking at that,” Em said with distain.

          “Stop looking at what?” she asked innocently but surreptitiously tried to hide the picture she was holding.

            “This.” Em easily snatched the picture from her.

            It was a picture of her and Sean locked in an embrace during the graduation ball. It was taken an hour before her boyfriend Sean told her he wanted to break up with her.

            Oh wait! Make that an ex-boyfriend.

“Believe me, I’m okay. See?” Sapphire flashed her best friend a smile.

Em raised her eyebrow sceptically. “Who are you trying to fool Sapphire?”

She sighed. “Alright, I won’t look at it.”

She winced when Em tore the picture and threw it in the nearby trash can but she didn’t say anything.

“There!” Em said triumphantly. “Oh and anyway, the reason I came here was I wanted to ask you to come with me to the Philippines for a vacation. You were only 7 when you were last there, right?”

Philippines is their hometown.

“A vacation? I still have to help Dad with the company.”

“Oh what’s wrong with a few months’ vacation? Besides, you don’t have to worry about anything there. You can stay at our house and I already bought tickets.”

“But Em, I don’t wanna be a burden to you,” she said hesitantly but she was already tempted to go. What Em was offering could be the distraction she badly needed.

Em grinned. She knew when she has won. “Well, if you feel so in-debt then you could do something for me in exchange.”

She looked at Em doubtfully.

“Don’t look at me like that. Anyway, I’ll tell you about it on the way. We’ll be late if we don’t hurry up.”

“You mean we’re leaving now? But I didn’t pack my things yet!”

“Here. Your brother already packed it for you.” Em handed her a luggage and a smaller bag. “Your passport, wallet, cellphone and other gadgets are already there too.

“Onyx went through my things?!” she exclaimed. She didn’t like the idea of her older step-brother rummaging through her things even though, he is better than her at organizing stuff.

 “I called before I came here but Onyx was the one who answered the phone. He wants you to go with me. He’s worried about you, Sapphire.”

Onyx might not be her brother by blood but he has treated her like his real sister and no doubt he had noticed her sadness these few days. In fact, he would have beaten up Sean the night she went home crying if she hadn’t stopped him.

“Alright. Let’s go.”

An hour passed and they were both seated inside the plane. Sapphire was in the window seat.

Am I doing the right thing? She thought and then she glanced at Em who was reading a magazine beside her. Well, it’s too late to back out now.

“Don’t even think about it,” Em gave her a knowing look.

She smiled. Em always manages to read her mind. “As if you would let me. Anyway, what is that ‘something’ you want me to do for you?”

“Curiosity kills the cat.”

“Meow. Surprise, I’m still alive.”

Em hit her with the magazine. “It isn’t funny. Okay, you remember the party I told you last week, the birthday party of the Mendez twins?”

“Yes. What about it?”

“My cousin Bryce needs someone to accompany him. I want you to be his partner.”

“What? Bryce? Your insufferable cousin Bryce?”

“Hey, you haven’t met him yet. How can you say that?”

“Those were your words Em. That’s how you described him before. Besides, I’m sure he can find a partner on his own.”

“Women are lining up for the position but he would most likely attend the party alone than choose from them. Frankly, I can’t blame him. Those women are just unbearable.” Em’s distain showed on her face.

“What makes you think he would choose me?”

“He doesn’t have any choice.”

“Why did you choose me?” she asked puzzled.

“Since his bitch of a girlfriend left him, he’s been different. He became aloof, grumpy, ultra-serious, a pessimist-”

“Oh, you mean like you?” she interrupted.

“Whatever. The point is, your sunny personality will be good for him,” Em said with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

“Oh no! Oh no, no, no! You’re not thinking of pairing us up, are you?” she said, horrified.

“You’re giving me ideas Sapphire,” Em teased.

“Em! You know very well that I’m not interested in that kind of relationship right now and even if I am, I wouldn’t want to be with your cousin. Based on your stories, he’s not my type.”

“If you say so. But you have to be his partner for the party. End of discussion.”

Normally, Sapphire would have argued but she was tired.

And maybe it isn’t too bad to have this vacation… With that thought in mind, she fell asleep.

When she woke up, the plane was about to land. After they got their baggage, they headed to the arrival area and she instantly saw Bryce. His very presence commanded attention, not to mention, he was very good-looking. The pictures Em showed her didn’t give him justice. No wonder ladies were eyeing him. She watched with amusement as a girl approached and flirted with him. He had on a poker face but she could read his eyes.

“Uh-oh. He’s pissed. Poor girl,” she smirked.

“Then save her,” Em came from behind and pushed her towards Bryce’s direction.

Because she was caught off-guard and because she was wearing stilettos, she lost balanced and went straight into Bryce who automatically steadied her against him.

She looked up at him (even with her high heels, the top of her head barely reached his nose) and saw that he was looking at her with annoyance in his eyes. But it wasn’t the same deadly-bored annoyance he had on earlier with the girl who was flirting with him. Speaking of that girl, at the corner of her eyes she saw the girl turn to leave.

And still, Bryce didn’t push her away. She took it as a good sign. She smiled at him. “Hi! I’m Sapphire!”

“Ehem!” Em’s voice drew her attention away Bryce. “Don’t you think introductions are a little late Sapphire?”

“Who told you to push me when I’m wearing heels?” She said and moved to Em’s side.

“Bryce, this is my best friend, Sapphire.”

Bryce just nodded then motioned for her bags, “You need help with that?”

She smiled at him – she couldn’t help it – and was about to refuse but before she could answer, Bryce already had her suitcase in one hand and went ahead of them.

“What was the point of asking?” she mumbled to Em.

Em shrugged. “Let’s go. He doesn’t like waiting.”

“Alright.” She looked around as they were walking out of the airport. “Wow, I’m really back in the Philippines,” she said excitedly.

It’s been 18 years since she last saw the Philippines and needless to say, she’s excited.

And with Bryce around, it may be more interesting. She smiled. This would be one vacation she’s sure to enjoy.

                                                 To be continued~


Note: And Paper Roses is back! Yey! This is more of a prologue than a chapter 1 but oh well.  For those who have read the old version of this, you might notice that I changed some of the characters' names. That's intentional. I added a whole lot of scenes too although I did keep some of the scenes from the older version and it will appear in later chapters. But the sequences are not the same.
Also, for those who liked Amanda's, Nat's, Ken's and Brad's characters, they are still here. But I'm sorry to say that their appearances are kept to a minimum level. I might do separate stories of them if I find the inspiration and the time to do so. Keep persuading me.
If you want to know why I reconstructed this story, comment and then I'll answer you. 
Thank you for my friends that kept supporting me and waiting for this. I love you guys! You know who you are :) 
Again, comments are very much appreciated because it keeps me going so if you want faster updates, you better comment XD

0 comments:

Mag-post ng isang Komento