Pages

Huwebes, Mayo 03, 2012

A Rose, A Ring and A Promise: Chapter 3



CHAPTER 3

“Fold it there.” Sapphire hummed approvingly when Bryce silently did her instruction.

She didn't know that Bryce would really take up on her offer to teach him how to do paper roses. He was a bit clumsy at it at first but he's a fast learner.

“Bryce, why didn't you ask anyone else before to teach you how to make this?” Sapphire asked after a few more minutes of silence as Bryce did the rose on his own.

Bryce shrugged.

Sapphire playfully smacked his arm. “Answer my question.”

Bryce glared at her before picking up the rose that fell from his hand. “I don't know. I guess I never thought about making my own paper rose. There was never a need to.”

“And now?”

“I was bored.”

Sapphire grinned knowing full well that Bryce was lying, avoiding her question. However, she didn't press the matter.

“So what makes this paper rose so special?” She asked instead, looking at the old paper rose in its glass case.

If you looked at it closely, you'll see that it was a bit clumsily done, so she was really curious about why Bryce seemed to treat it like a treasure.

“A friend gave it to me when I was young.”

“Your girlfriend?” She teased.

“She's a girl but she's not my girlfriend. We were young then.”

“Oh a childhood friend! I have one too! I was 6 then,” Sapphire said excitedly. “What was her she like?”

“She was a shy girl. I used to tease her by calling her 'Shylee'.” The corners of Bryce's mouth lifted up to show a shadow of a smile.

She must be pretty special, to make him smile with just the thought of her.

Brushing that thought aside, Sapphire asked, “A friend used to call me that when I was younger too! What a coincidence.”

“It's hard to imagine you as 'shy'.”

“What's that supposed to mean?” Sapphire said, faking anger. But she soon couldn't contain her giggles. “Well, I get your point. But you know, people change.”

“Yes. People do change.”

Sapphire didn't miss the sad note on Bryce's voice even if it was barely there.

She looked down in exasperation for making the atmosphere so tense with a thoughtless comment. She gasped in amazement her eye caught the small basket beside them and noticed that Bryce had almost filled it with paper roses.

“Wow! You learn and work fast!” Sapphire said, still amazed. “And this are perfectly done!”

“You're exaggerating.”

“I am not exaggerating,” Sapphire insisted and then a sudden idea formed in her mind. “Wait, I'll just get something.”

Bryce looked at her suspiciously but said nothing.

Sapphire hurriedly went out of Bryce's office and into her room. It took a few moments for her to find what she's looking for.

She grinned when when she finally found her camera.

No way I'm letting this moment pass without a picture!

She excitedly walked back to Bryce's office but when she opened the door, he wasn't there.

I wonder where he is.

She looked around and saw a door at the right side.

Must be a connecting room.

She walked there and carefully opened the door.

At the center of the room was a white grand piano and there Bryce were playing a music, gently tapping the correct piano keys and humming softly.

The sight was breathtaking.

Sapphire silently took pictures of him. He didn't notice her yet because he was sitting sideways from the door and his eyes were closed.

If the scene in front of her wasn't so beautiful, she would have gotten a bit jealous of his talents.

She watched him for a few more moments before she hid her camera in the pouch she carried then finally spoke, “There really is nothing you can't do.”

Bryce hands stilled and he turned towards Sapphire who was leisurely leaning against the frame of the door.

“There is such a thing as 'knocking', Sapphire,” Bryce said but his voice wasn't harsh or reprimanding.

Sapphire laughed and said, “Sorry, I forgot.” Not at all regretting what she did. “Can you play the piano one more time?”

“If I said no, would you leave me alone?” Bryce asked.

“No.”

“Then you have your answer.” Bryce motioned for her to sit beside him.

Her smile brightened. “Can you sing too? Any song would do.”

Bryce sighed resignedly. Then his hands started moving along the piano keys. A beautiful melody was heard, soon followed by his voice.

Fly me to the moon... Let me play among the stars. Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars... In other words hold my hand...”

Sapphire gazed at Bryce as he continued singing with the music his hands produced on the piano.

She had only known him for more than two weeks but she had never felt as at peace with anyone but him.

She could listen to him sing and look at him forever without ever getting bored.

Even with Sean, she had never felt this comfortable. With Sean, she was always active, always on the move, always looking for a new adventure. It was all fun but at this moment, she realized it was nice to slow down once in a while.

Fill my life with song... Let me sing for ever more. You are all I long for, all I worship and adore. In other words... please be true. In other words... I love you...”

Bryce looked at her eyes as he sang the last lines of the song.

Sapphire's heart fluttered. It was as if he was really singing those lines to her, talking to her through the song.

What nonsense are you thinking?! Stop it! Sapphire mentally scolded herself.

“I knew it! You're an old soul! Grandpa Bryce!” Sapphire teased. Teasing him always gets her mind of things. It worked all the time. This time, included.

Seeing his indignant face made her laugh, making her forget that strange feeling she had earlier.

“The songs before had more depth,” Bryce said. He ignored her and started walking out of the room.

“Hey, I was just kidding,” she said, a hint of laughter still on her voice. But when she caught up with him, she gently placed her hand to his arm to get his attention and then looked at him seriously, “Honestly, I loved the song. Thank you. Don't be angry anymore, okay?”

Bryce visibly lightened up his mood and then patted her head almost affectionately, “Silly, I wasn't angry. Just a bit pissed off.”

“Kuya~ Oh!”

They pulled away from each other when Amanda, Bryce's 17 year old sister came into the room.

“I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt. Go on!” Amanda let out one of her impish smiles.

“There was nothing to interrupt. Now, why are you here?” Bryce asked, getting to the point, as usual.

“Nothing urgent. I was just wondering where you two are.” Her eyes turned teasing again as she added, “I didn't know you two were here, in the same room, in my brother's sanctuary nonetheless.”

Amanda's words spoke volumes but Sapphire decided to laugh it off.

“I was just teaching your brother to make paper roses.”

“Really?” Amanda went toward the basket Sapphire had pointed to. “Wow! You could actually do this, Kuya!”

Just as she expected, Amanda was distracted. She glanced at Bryce and winked at him to show him she got everything under control. Then she pulled Amanda and engaged her into a conversation about origami, all the while walking with her out the door.

She didn't see Bryce's cheeks turn a shade darker at that wink she gave him.







To be continued~



Note: I dedicate this chapter to my friend and roommate Jenelyn Caniedo since her favorite Korean Idol, Jan Geun Seuk sang “Fly me to the moon” too in his Drama 'He's beautiful'. Chen, eto na!!! Sabi ko sayo, ime-mention kita eh! :)


Addictional Notes (A/N): For my non-Filipino readers, 'Kuya' is the Filipino word for 'older brother'.

0 comments:

Mag-post ng isang Komento