Pages

Martes, Agosto 21, 2012

A Rose, A Ring and A Promise


Chapter 15



            “Hey Amanda, where's your brother?” Sapphire excitedly sat down on the sofa beside Amanda,who was watching a TV show.

            “Probably at the office. Why? You miss him already?” Amanda teased.

            “Eh?! Well, I'm sure he's the one missing me,” Sapphire grinned.

            Both of them giggled.

            “Seriously though, why are you looking for Kuya?” Amanda asked when their laughters have subsided.

            “Amanda, what do you think about a trip to Cebu?” Sapphire asked instead of answering Amanda's question.

            “Huh? I think that would be cool! It's been a while since I went there, come to think of it.”

            “Great! Let's go to Cebu!” Sapphire declared.

            “Yes, let's do that!” Amanda did a high-five with Sapphire. “But wait, my OJT starts this week. I can't go somewhere that far,” Amanda sulked.

            “I guess Cebu is out huh?” Sapphire sighed.

            “It's not! Why don't you go with Kuya?” Amanda suggested and then something dawned on her mind. “That was why you were looking for him!” Amanda giggled. “And you even tried to hide it by asking me first. It's not like you to be so shy.”

            “It's not like that! I really want you to come but well, I wanted to come with Bryce too.” Sapphire protested with a blush.

            “Oh stop it Sapphire. It's not like I'm not rooting for you two. It's alright.” Amanda's grin said it all.

            “I said it's not like that!” Sapphire pouted. “Besides, he's always busy; he won't have time for something like this.”

            Amanda gave her an encouraging smile. “Something tells me he won't say no if you're the one to ask him.”

            “Really?” Sapphire's eyes shone in anticipation.





            “No.”

            “But why~?” Sapphire whined. She was inside Bryce's office.

            “Because I'm busy,” Bryce simply said.

            “No. This week-end you're not! I asked your secretary. He said you don't have anything scheduled this week-end.”

            Bryce turned to his secretary, Carl.

            “Carl, would you mind telling me why you're telling anyone my schedule without my permission?”

            “Um, I'm sorry Sir but...”

            The poor secretary just looked back and forth at his boss and at Sapphire nervously. He was already trying to remember which companies needed a secretary.

            “C'mon Mik-mik, don't scold Carl,” Sapphire pleaded.

            “It's okay Carl, you can go. I'll take care of this,” Bryce said calmly, much to his secretary's surprise. Usually by then, Bryce would be mad and whoever caused that anger would be fired on the spot.

            “I promised that you wouldn't get involved, right?” Sapphire gave Carl a wink.

            Carl looked at her like she was an angel before going out of the room.

            Smitten by her. Bryce thought. Unfortunately for him, I have no intention of sharing my Sapphire. “And what makes you think you have the authority to promise something like that to my employee?”

            “You're right. I don't have that kind of authority,” Sapphire agreed cheerfully.

            Bryce covered his face with his palms in frustration. “I don't have time for this, Sapphire.”

            “Lately, you don't have time for anything,” Sapphire pointed out. “I didn't want to be clingy or to be a burden to you but it's been a week since we last talked to each other properly, Bryce. Besides, it's not just me you're ignoring. Your sister, your friends, you've been neglecting them.

            “It's because I need to– ”

            “What we both need,” Sapphire interrupted, “is a vacation. And if you continue to refuse, I would just keep bothering you here.”

            Bryce knew better than to argue.


            A day after that, Bryce and Sapphire arrived in Cebu by private plane. Bryce hired a car and a driver to drive them wherever they want to go while they are in Cebu.

            “Hmm, this place is not really that different from Manila,” Sapphire commented.

            “I've been telling you that but you wouldn't believe me,” Bryce said.

            “I'm sure we'll find something interesting! Oh, I know! Let's go to Mactan Cross first!” Her attention was caught by the churches they passed by. “Look Bryce! There are a lot of churches and some looks so old!”

            The driver of the car they were in laughed. “Your girlfriend is so energetic, Sir.”

            Bryce looked at Sapphire. “Her energy surpasses her tiny frame.”

            “But she must be quite an energy booster for you, Sir.”

            “That, she is.”


            After a few minutes, they passed by Sacred Heart church, where a marriage ceremony was being held.

            “Can you pull-over for a while, Manong?” Sapphire asked politely.

            “Is anything wrong, Sapphire?” Bryce asked.

            “No, nothing's wrong.” Sapphire looked at the bride who just came out of the bridal car. “I'm just a fan of people in love ending up with each other.” There was wistfulness in her voice.

            “Nowadays, people get married for a lot of different reasons other than being in love.” The driver clucked his tongue in disappointment.

            “Not this one. Did you see the girl's face? She was glowing. You can't fake that kind of happiness,” Sapphire said with conviction.

            They were silent for a minute as they watched the bride enter the church and eventually disappear from their line of sight.

            “Speaking of happiness...” Sapphire said.

            Bryce and the driver looked at her.

            “I would be really happy if we'll go to Mactan Cross right now. I need to have a picture there. For my profile pic on FB.”

            The driver guffawed while Bryce shook his head but a smile crept to his face.

            Really one hell of a unique girl.

            So on to Mactan Cross they went.

            Sapphire asked the driver to take a picture of her and Bryce with the Mactan Cross as their background.

            At first, Bryce refused to pose for the pictures but one look at Sapphire's pleading eyes and his resolve quickly faded. They ended up having pictures together with the plaza there too.

            After that, they went inside the Basilica Del Sto. Nino.

            “I wonder where we can go next?” Sapphire said out loud.

            “Why don't you go to the Top? You can see most of the city from there. The view is magnificent,” the driver suggested.

            “Really? Then let's go!” Sapphire said.

            When they reached the Top, it was already night time but the place was illuminated by the flickering lights of the stars and the translucent glow of the moon.

            “From here, it feels like I can easily touch the sky!” Sapphire enthusiastically stretched her arms up the sky.

            “You look like a kid, Sapphire,” Bryce said, amused. “On the other hand, that's not something new.”

            Sapphire laughed heartily, a laugh that was uninhibited, and filled with youthful happiness.

            Bryce couldn't resist but to smile at such a lovely sight.

            When Sapphire noticed Bryce's smile, she smiled back.

            Just then, a sudden gush of wind made Sapphire shiver. Bryce came closer to her and hugged her from behind. “Cold?”

            Sapphire leaned more to his embrace and shook her head. “Not anymore.”

            “You know Sapphire, everything seems more beautiful when you're here.”

            “Wow! You know how to flatter people! What a suprise!” Sapphire said playfully.

            Bryce laughed softly and hugged her tighter. “It's not flattery Sapphire. It's the truth.”

            They stayed like that for a while. Every now and then, Sapphire would trace constellations with her finger and talk about it. Bryce patiently listened to her.

            “Um , I'm kinda hungry,” Sapphire said sheepishly after a while.

            “Alright, let's go eat,” Bryce said indulgently.

            They returned to the rented car, hand in hand.

            “Manong, where's the nearest place that sells Lechon here?”

            The driver looked at Sapphire in suprise, “You eat Lechon, Ma'am?”

            Sapphire gave him a confused look. “Of course. Why wouldn't I?”

            “Please don't get offended but you look like the type who's always on diet.”

            Bryce smirked. “You're in for a suprise, Manong.”

            And indeed, the driver was surprised when after 3 cups of rice and a whole lot of Lechon, Sapphire still had space to eat dried mangoes.

            “You don't look like you just ate all that,” the driver said to Sapphire, amazed.

            “This is normal for me,” Sapphire blinked innocently.

            Bryce gently wiped the side of her mouth with a tissue. “Her appetite and the effect it does – or does not do – on her body is still a mystery to me.”

            The driver was still in shock.


To be continued~


Note: I promised a chapter with Cebu scenes in it so here it is! What do you think? I really need feedbacks. I'm having a hard time keeping Bryce in character but still show his other side – the side that was lost when Stacey left him. Am I successful in executing that? Also, I'm planning to show Bryce slowly opening up to Sapphire and to other people but the changes must be subtle, otherwise it will seem too rushed and the feelings will look fake. I desperately need opinions and suggestions, please!!

0 comments:

Mag-post ng isang Komento