Pages

Huwebes, Enero 19, 2012

Through Non-existent Eyes



             For anyone in front of the building, the afternoon would probably prove to be a normal one. With the passing vehicles and the people walking past – yes, there was nothing amiss. Most would say that it’s so usual that it’s almost boring, certainly not worth pondering about.
These people could be right in thinking that way too, except that they failed to notice the way a certain female student or professor for that matter (in this place, you can never be certain because they don’t have uniforms and some professors are young and fashion conscious), smiled like she remembered something good or that the weather was gorgeous – the sun barely seeping through loosely intertwined branches of the acacias lining both side of the street.
No, it’s not their fault. When they are burdened with so many things such as Acads (what seems to be the official term for school work around here), organization works, finances and many others, they think it’s hard or even wrong to stop and stay still. Also, when they’ve been through many disappointments, failures or mistakes, the rose-colored glasses they view the world through shatters and are replaced by a jaded eye.
But I am not like them. I have been at a standstill for many years now. How long has it been again? 20 years? Maybe more? I don’t even remember. Time has no meaning to me. I count my days with the students, professors and occasional outsiders getting on or off the jeepneys, taxis or private cars, or people walking or running past me to get through their destination (maybe to their next class). I count my night with the joggers sweating and huffing from all the jogging or running.
From the first day I was here and until this very moment, I have never left my post and I plan to stay this way for as long as my sinewy arms and legs can support my head as I shield the people from the elements – the harsh glare of the sun or the piercing dash of rain.
Do you know me now? Perhaps you do so there is no reason for me to reveal myself blatantly. After all, I’ve often heard that people are smart.
But even as I am now, my eyes non-existent, I see far greater than the average person. I laugh at the bright orange taxi that seemed so out of place among its white brothers, the hope-filled eyes of a young student (a freshman) inspires me and I feel the love as if it was my own when a couple walked past, holding hands and laughing all the while.
I had also noticed the sadness behind the smile of a person, the dejected way someone walked (my guess is that he flunked an exam or got scolded by a terror professor), and even the impatient tap of the girl’s foot on the floor as she kept looking at her cellphone. It doesn’t take a genius to know that she’s waiting for a reply or a call. Occasionally, there would be those who seemed to be angry at someone – their foreheads would be wrinkled with a frown.
Everyday is a new discovery. There will always be something new. And I would witness it again. Someday, I hope you see things the way I see it. The world is not cut out in black and white. There are many vibrant colors competing for your attention. Why don’t you try noticing them? And if you ever need a reminder, I’ll always be here, looking at you…through non-existent eyes.

*note: The topic for this is "Faculty Center Waiting Shed in UP Diliman"

0 comments:

Mag-post ng isang Komento