Pages

Huwebes, Mayo 31, 2012

A Rose, A Ring and A Promise: Chapter 6



CHAPTER 6

“Pizza.”

“Cake!”

“Nat, cake is a dessert. It’s not a snack.”

“Is too! Caaaaaake!”

Bryce shook his head at the exchange between his sister, Ken and Nat. The two guys came over because they were bored.

This whole situation started when the three whined that it was unfair that they went to the movies without them. They then proceeded to demand a ‘compensation’ for it, which turned out to be food.

Partly because it was a simple enough request but mostly because his ears were getting too much noise abuse already, he asked them what they wanted to eat.

It turned out to be a wrong question.

I really shouldn’t have asked that.

He was getting more and more pissed off as the three continued to argue. “Shut up and just agree on one food now!”

“How about pasta?”

All three of them turned to the entryway of the kitchen and saw Sapphire standing there, smiling as usual.

“Sa-chan!” Nat exclaimed and ran to hug the girl.

Nat is half Japanese so he is fond of attaching the Japanese honorific ‘chan’ to people he is close too. That includes Sapphire because the two get along so well but since ‘Sapphire-chan’ is too long, he shortened it to ‘Sa-chan’

“Sapphire! You’re back! Where were you?” Amanda stood and pulled Sapphire to the table. It's obvious that Amanda is fond of Sapphire too.

So that made two people who are very attached to her.

“Yo! You should have gone to the movies with me, Sapphire,” Ken said.

Actually, make that three people.

That should be four, right? Including yourself.

Bryce frowned at that sudden thought.

“Pasta would be nice.” Ken agreed.

“Yeah, and Kuya is an expert in cooking pasta!” Amanda said, proudly.

“Homemade food! Yey!” Nat cheered like a kid. You really wouldn’t believe that he’s already 22 with the way he was acting.

“Okay, then. What kind of pasta will I cook?” he asked warily, knowing a lengthy discussion will start again with that question.

It was Sapphire who spoke first.

“Can I be the one to cook?”

The three were about to disagree because they knew Sapphire really wasn’t good in the kitchen but when she looked at them, they nodded their heads in agreement.

“Yes!”

“Absolutely!”

“Our kitchen is all yours!”

They really couldn’t say no to the weapon that was Sapphire’s puppy eyes.

“Why Carbonara?” he asked to Sapphire some time later. He was helping her serve the pasta.

He was puzzled why Sapphire chose to cook Carbonara, of all food.

“Because it’s your favourite food,” she said like it was an obvious fact.


“Hey Bryce, what’s your favourite food?” Sapphire asked all of a sudden.

“Why?” he asked back.

“Answer my question first,” she said persistently.

“Carbonara.”


So that what it was all about.

They sat in silence as they all ate Sapphire’s Carbonara.

“Wow! You could actually cook!” Ken said, amazed.

“I thought Em said never to let you near the kitchen?” Amanda asked.

“Oh it’s natural for her to say that,” Sapphire said shrugging. “After all, I almost burned her kitchen on my first attempt in cooking.”

Amanda, Ken and Nat all burst laughing. Even Bryce couldn’t contain his amusement.

“Are you sure we won’t die after eating this?” It was Bryce who spoke up this time.

“Hey! What happened that time was an accident! Besides, I can cook you know. It’s just that I never had the reason to so I never learned,” Sapphire said indignantly.

“So why did you suddenly want to cook? And did you know Carbonara is Bryce’s favourite food?” There was a teasing note in Ken’s voice as he said that.

“Yes. He told me before,” Sapphire said. “This is my way to show my gratitude for him letting me stay here.”

“You sound like you’re saying good bye,” Nat said.

Amanda gripped her hand. “No! That isn’t true, right Sapphire?”

“Well, not exactly. I won’t be leaving the Philippines for another two months.”

“But?” Ken asked, sensing there was more to her statement.

“But this is my last week here in this house.”

“What?! Why?” Amanda asked.

“Em’s brother is leaving with his family next week so it would be just Em in her house again. It would be more convenient to stay there.”

“You can just stay here with us. Don’t you like it here?” Amanda asked, starting to get upset.

Sapphire smiled gently at the younger girl. “I do like it here. But I’ve been a burden to you and Bryce for too long. It’s time I go.”

“But–”

“Amanda! Stop bothering Sapphire!” Bryce interrupted her sister and the girl immediately shut her mouth.

“It’s okay Amanda. It’s not like I’m far away. You can still visit me at Em’s house and we could still go out and have fun together when you don’t have class.”

“I will miss being in the same house with you,” Amanda said then the sad look in her eyes were replaced by a teasing glint when she whispered, “I’m sure brother will miss you too. He likes you, you know. He’s just so good in hiding it.”

Sapphire laughed and Amanda giggled beside her.

Bryce shook his head. He didn’t really understand how these two girls could change moods so easily.

“Oh speaking of this week, isn’t the Mendez’ party this friday?” Nat asked, remembering the date. “You’re invited too Sa-chan right?”

Sapphire gasped. “Oh my God, Yes! I forgot about that already! And I don’t have a dress yet!”

Sapphire bit her lip in frustration. Stupid! How could I have forgotten that?

“Relax Sapphire. It’s easy to buy a dress for you. We still have five days, after all,” Ken said, shrugging. “Hey, want to be my date on that night?” He added, with a naughty grin on his face.

Sapphire knew Ken was up to something but she has to stifle her curiosity and refuse Ken’s offer because she already promised Em to be Bryce’s date for that night.

That is, if he would want me to be his date.

Sapphire looked at Bryce and was surprised to see that he had this annoyed look on his face.

Okay… so maybe it isn’t a good idea to bring up the subject now.

“Sapphire is going to the party with me.”

Three pair of eyes turned to look at Bryce in surprise.

Bryce furrowed his eyebrows. “She’s my responsibility while she’s staying in my house so she’s going with me.”

When Ken gave her a knowing smile, she finally understood what he was doing.

He’s helping me. Sapphire thought in disbelief. She smiled in relief. At least now, Bryce can’t back out. He’s the one who said it, after all.

Sapphire was in an extra good mood for the rest of the day.


To be continued~


Note: Who's craving for Carbonara after reading this chappie? (Author raises hand). Poor Ken, Nat and Amanda. They're completely powerless against Sapphire's puppy eyes xD I think Nat is really cute >.< He's my baby official favorite. >.<

0 comments:

Mag-post ng isang Komento